About Us - The History of the Denmead War Memorial Hall.
The Hall was built in the 1920s by public subscription to honour the local people killed and wounded in the First World War. The hall has been in almost continuous use by local people for their educational and social benefit since that time.
A fire in 1988 caused major damage, and the hall was repaired and reopened in 1989. The kitchen and toilets have been extended, and the disabled toilet was added in 2005.
What the Hall offers:
The hall is hired out as a single entity.
It offers seating for up to 130 peple, with a large raised stage. Floodlights and a public address system are fitted.
Microphones are available by special arrangement
For an event like a party, the maximum capacity of the people standing is 250. Limits are imposed by fire regulations.
The hall is fully insured and meets all safety and licencing requirements for public entertainment. There is no bar. Anyone wanting to supply a bar would need to arrange this in compliance with legal requirements.
An independent preschool uses the hall, so most safety features to meet Ofsted requirements are in place for other hirers.
The facilties are:
- Large heated hall 8 x 18 metres, which includes a 3 metre deep stage at one end, and 3 metres high to the roof support bars.
- Public address system (standard 1/4 inch or 3.5 mm sockets for input). The system includes a loop system for the hard of hearing.
- Radio microphone equipment which includes a hand-held and a lapel microphone.
- High speed internet connection via WIFI.
- Additional electric sockets and stage lighting.
- A fully equipped kitchen 3.5 metres square, with kettle, water boiler for larger events, a large cooker, Electric Toaster & Microwave oven.
- There are also 10 dozen sets of cutlery, 5 dozen teaspoons, 4 dozen teacups & saucers, 2 dozen 20 cm plates, 3 dozen 15 cm cereal bows
- Male, female and disabled access toilets are situated off the lobby.
- A small back room 4 x 2.5 metres can be used as green room, temporary storage, cloak room or a meeting place.
- Storage is available for hire, if regular hirers need to store equipment for their activities.
- Outside there is a large fenced grass field. This is a public area owned by Denmead Parish Council, but which may be used by hall users for activities
such as barbeques, summer volleyball games, children's parties and games.
- Free car parking is available adjacent to the hall and a free public car park is located approx. 150 yards away.
Possible uses are:-
- Marching bands
- Private parties
- Jumble sales
- Bouncy castles
- Wedding receptions
Denmead War Memorial Hall, Hambledon Rd, Denmead, PO7 6PW
Registered Charity No. 1098789